Edmonton Oilers centre Ryan Nugent-Hopkins enters NHL COVID-19 protocol – Global News

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.
Edmonton Oilers centre Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has been placed on COVID-19 protocol, the team announced on Friday.
Nugent-Hopkins played Thursday night, when the Oilers hosted the Columbus Blue Jackets at Rogers Place.
Two other Oilers players were already entered the National Hockey League’s COVID-19 protocol this week: centre Ryan McLeod and forward Devin Shore.
Head coach Dave Tippett was also placed in the league’s COVID-19 protocol earlier this week.
The Oilers are supposed to travel south, where they’re slated to play the Seattle Kraken on Saturday night. The team told Global News it has delayed its flight to Seattle until all of the members’ COVID-19 tests are back.
A team spokesperson said NHL protocol call for testing every 72 hours and the Oilers exceed that, but wouldn’t go into specifics.
Read more: Oilers forward Ryan McLeod on COVID-19 protocol as Edmonton prepares to host Maple Leafs
There’s been an explosion of COVID-19 outbreaks around the league. Earlier this week, a number of Calgary Flames games were postponed. So far, 19 players and several other staffers were put in protocol as well.
The Flames confirmed that some of the cases are the Omicron variant of concern.
With almost the entire team in quarantine, the NHL said it was delaying Calgary’s return to the ice until at least through Saturday.
Read more: More Calgary Flames games postponed after additional members enter NHL COVID-19 protocol
Already dealing with a backlog of 10 postponed games, the NHL on Thursday was looking at the possibility of more scheduling headaches.
On Thursday night, the Montreal Canadiens hosted the Philadelphia Flyers without fans after receiving a request from Quebec public health officials due to the “spiraling rise of COVID-19 cases in the region.”
And in Ontario, some people with tickets to see the Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators, or the NBA’s Toronto Raptors may be out of luck, as the Ontario provincial government is implementing a 50 per cent capacity limit for sporting events starting on Saturday.
Read more: NHL, NBA among major sports leagues struggling with COVID-19 outbreaks
No further details about Nugent-Hopkins were released by the team Friday morning.
— With files from Steve Keating, Reuters
Get a roundup of the most important and intriguing national stories delivered to your inbox every weekday.
Get a roundup of the most important and intriguing national stories delivered to your inbox every weekday.

source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *